Re: [css-text] copying text-transform'd text

From: Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2015 10:03:18 +0200
Cc: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>

> On 02 Apr 2015, at 04:41, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
>
> On 04/01/2015 10:20 PM, Brad Kemper wrote:
>>>
>>> This seems like a browser bug. Nothing in the CSS spec says that
>>> 'text-transform' should affect copy/paste. And probably it shouldn't.
>>
>> I agree with you, but as I recall from last time we had the conversation,
>> most implementations do convert 'text-transform : uppercase' to all
>> uppercase letters when copied. I know Safari does. I find it pretty
>> annoying myself, but apparently most users are surprised when the all
>> caps text they copied is not all caps when they paste it as plain text.
>
> Gecko and Presto don't do this.
>
> I think we probably need to get the browsers to agree on this
> issue and put the required behavior in the spec, so authors know
> what to expect.
>
> Personally I don't think the copied text should be affected by
> the transform: if that's a key part of the text's presentation,
> then it should be done in the source. There's a lot of cases
> where it wouldn't make sense to copy out the style. E.g. putting
> the first word (or phrase) of an article is a stylistic choice
> that shouldn't come out in the plaintext copy.

Agreed. This may be even more important in other languages.
For example, when small kana are transformed to big kana*,
it would be wrong to copy/paste big kana, as the plain text
you'd get out of that would just be incorrect.

 - Florian

* I know we don't have this transform now, but the need for
it is clear, so we'll eventually have it, either through
@text-transform or as a built-in keyword**.

** I used to be against the built-in keyword due to the
possibility of @text-transform appearing, and to avoid
special casing languages too much, but since there
seems to be very little interest in @text-tranform
and since this transform is important for accessibility
I now think we should get a built-in keyword.