Re: RTL support in CSS (Was: [css3-box] Float start/end issue)

Le 24/09/2014 17:44, Tab Atkins Jr. a écrit :
> On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 6:13 AM, Julien Wajsberg <jwajsberg@mozilla.com> wrote:

>>> What do you think needs to be moved forward on?  Alignment is stable
>>> in this regard; Box isn't a good reference for these topics (2.1 is
>>> still the correct reference).
>> Well, I'm looking forward seeing the "start" and "end" value specified
>> and implemented for the "float" property. I don't see this discussed in
>> 2.1 at all.
>>
>> Some context can be useful. I work on a core Firefox OS app and as I
>> result I have the luxury to be able to use new CSS features, and give
>> early feedback. These days we're working on supporting RTL languages.
>> The usual way of doing this is overriding all properties that use
>> left/right. There are tools that do this automatically. However while
>> this is good for one-shot conversion, this is really bad for long-term
>> maintainability. That's why I'm looking for the "native" CSS support for
>> this. "start" and "end" values for the "float" property is only one part
>> of the support obviously.
> Ah, gotcha.  Unfortunately, there's no real timeline for continuing
> work on 'float' right now. :/

Besides float, I'm interested in other RTL matters too:
offset-start/end, support in background-position, margin-start/end,
padding-start/end (and support in the shorthand notations). I think
border properties are important as well, but not so important for me.

Gecko currently supports: margin-start, margin-end, padding-start,
padding-end (prefixed), text-align: start/end, and of course the
standard support in flexible layout.

What could help pushing this forward? Should we continue implementing
this in Gecko behind prefs?

Thanks,
--
Julien