Re: [css3-box] Float start/end issue

Le 23/09/2014 22:22, Tab Atkins Jr. a écrit :
> On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 8:29 AM, Julien Wajsberg <jwajsberg@mozilla.com> wrote:
>> Tab Atkins Jr wrote:
>> On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 2:17 AM, Salar Khalilzadeh <salar2k@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Back in 2009 a few values added to the float property in 'CSS basic box
>>> model' module  but they haven't finalized yet.
>>>
>>> These new values for float property would be very helpful for RTL
>>> languages.
>>> Please give the module more attention.
>>>
>>> I wanted to hint on the Issue 61 which says "Adding ‘start’ and ‘end’ was
>>> decided at 2009-12-02 telcon. Precise definitions not yet decided: does it
>>> depend on ‘direction’ of the element itself or its parent? "
>>> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-box/#the-float-property
>>>
>>> I strongly believe that start/end should depend on the element itself.
>>> They
>>> should follow the behavior of the float which applies on the element, so
>>> the
>>> new start/end values will depend on the direction of the element.
>>> Otherwise I as a developer have to wrap my element with another element
>>> and
>>> change the direction there!! what a waste.
>> On the other hand, that means you can't set "float: start;" on a bunch
>> of elements in some container and expect them to float to the same
>> side.
>>
>> We've addressed this in the Alignment module by having start/end base
>> themselves off the container's direction, and having separate
>> self-start/self-end values that base themselves on the item's
>> direction.
>>

>> Is it something there is a good agreement about?
>>
>> I also agree that "start" and "end" should be relative to the containining
>> box's direction (so, I don't agree with the initial mail), for consistency
>> with other specs, especially [css-position-3], where we alway refer to the
>> containing box.
>>
>> I have no opinion about self-start/self-end, but from the initial message in
>> this thread it looks like there is at least some request.
>>
>> What's needed to move forward about this?
>>
>> [css-position-3] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-position-3
> What do you think needs to be moved forward on?  Alignment is stable
> in this regard; Box isn't a good reference for these topics (2.1 is
> still the correct reference).

Well, I'm looking forward seeing the "start" and "end" value specified
and implemented for the "float" property. I don't see this discussed in
2.1 at all.

Some context can be useful. I work on a core Firefox OS app and as I
result I have the luxury to be able to use new CSS features, and give
early feedback. These days we're working on supporting RTL languages.
The usual way of doing this is overriding all properties that use
left/right. There are tools that do this automatically. However while
this is good for one-shot conversion, this is really bad for long-term
maintainability. That's why I'm looking for the "native" CSS support for
this. "start" and "end" values for the "float" property is only one part
of the support obviously.

Hope this makes my concern clearer.
Regards,
--