Re: [css-images] image-rendering: pixelated, scaling up/down?

From: Daniel Holbert <dholbert@mozilla.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 14:54:52 -0700
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>, Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org>
Thanks!  On the same topic -- is there documentation anywhere (or a
thread on this list) about why there's a required difference in behavior
between downscaling & upscaling, for this "pixelated" value?

>From reading the Blink intent-to-implement thread[1], it sounds like
part of the reason may be that downscaling with nearest-neighbor doesn't
actually *look* "pixelated" at all.  This make some sense, but I'm not
sure it makes sense to me that this reason (on its own) is enough to
jusify requiring additional logic for "are we upscaling or downscaling"
for every image-rendering-flavored operation that's influenced by this
particular style. (and I wouldn't expect authors to be too mystified if
"image-rendering:pixelated" produced gross, blocky behavior when
downscaling.)

Were there other reasons as well, or is that mostly it?

Thanks,
~Daniel

[1] In particular:
https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msg/blink-dev/Q8N6FoeoPXI/bq5U8544kE8J