Re: [css3-writing-modes] simpler values for text-orientation

On Friday 2013-08-16 17:01 -0700, fantasai wrote:
> 'sideways' covers typical usage for most horizontal scripts
> being typeset in a vertical orientation, e.g. in a table
> caption. But we actually do need the explicit values for
> some other cases:
>
>   - In Mongolian, 'sideways-right' is needed for cases not handled
>     by 'mixed', because horizontal scripts are rotated 90cw, not
>     90ccw.
>
>   - There are examples of RTL scripts being typeset top-to-bottom
>     in Chinese, so 'sideways-left' is needed to create this effect.
>
>   - These values also exist to be able to typeset more obscure
>     scripts correctly that we aren't handling in 'mixed' due to
>     the bidi complications of having to LTR scripts typeset in
>     opposing directions.
>
> So, while most authors will be satisfied with the three you mention,
> the others are also necessary.

It might be helpful if the spec made it clearer which of the values
were intended to cover the main cases and which were intended for
less common cases.

There are a few useful bits of wording in the spec for this, e.g.,
for mixed:
  # This value is typical for layout of primarily vertical-script
  # text.
and for sideways:
  # It can be useful when setting horizontal script text vertically
  # in a primarily horizontal-only document.

It would be useful to have similar explanations for the other
values.

-David

             Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
             What I was walling in or walling out,