Re: [css-text] How to define lang-specific justification behavior?

On 08/03/2014 08:45 AM, Koji Ishii wrote:

> In Tucson F2F, IIUC, the WG wanted:
> 1. Justification is as automatic as possible once author sets the
>    content language.
> 2. Remove as much values of text-justify as possible, unless single
>    language needs to switch between more than one behavior.
>
> To do this, there were ideas to do something similar to counter-styles,
> or delegating the work to I18N WG, but we didn’t discuss in depth and
> didn’t resolve.
>
> The first option is to add language specific behaviors to CSS Text,
> such as “do this if the content language is Korean". We don’t know
> how many such behaviors we will need, it may be a small number, but
> this has a risk for CSS Text going back to WD whenever we needed to
> add a language.
>
> If we were going to go with a separate spec just like we do for
> counter-styles, or delegate the work to other WGs, such separate
> spec/notes could define mappings between languages and behaviors,
> but CSS Text needs to define values for necessary behaviors for
> the mappings, which conflicts with #2.
>
> Which way—or the other options—do we want to take?

I think we take a third option: CSS says that behavior is lang-dependent,
but doesn't say how, and the another note explains what is known about
various languages' behaviors. It does not need to map anything to CSS
values, it just needs to say in prose, what any known guidelines are.

Values are only necessary if an author needs to switch among them.

~fantasai