Re: [css-text] I18N-ISSUE-334: 'letter-spacing' and Indic

On 24/01/2014 18:32, Phillips, Addison wrote:
> State:
>      OPEN WG Comment
> Product:
>      CSS3-text
> Raised by:
>      Addison Phillips
> Opened on:
>      2014-01-23
>      Section 8.2: The section on "tracking" ('letter-spacing') may need to consider the effect on scripts such as Indic. The I18N WG asked for guidance from various Indic language contributors [1].
>
>      It was reported to use that 'letter-spacing' is not a native typographic style to these languages, however it is used in several languages, such as Hindi, for visual effect--if only rarely.
>
>      The guidance we received, which is consistent with our understanding, is that letter-spacing should "break" the joining "bar" (shirorekha) in those scripts that use a "bar" and that the separation should be on syllable boundaries. These boundaries do not necessarily correspond to Unicode's default grapheme cluster boundaries, making proper description more complicated.
>
>      [1] See thread: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-indic/2013OctDec/

The i18n WG discussed this at our last telecon. We agree that the text
around the definition of typographic character units helps address this
issue.

We suggest however, in view of current implementations of
letter-spacing[1], the addition of a short note near the top of the
letter-spacing section to remind implementers that "typographic
charactere units" are not glyphs.

thanks
ri

[1]