Re: [css-tables] default box-sizing for tables

Le 2014-09-26 12:15, Bogdan Brinza a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Another CSS Interoperability issue we've uncovered during Internet
> Explorer development. We've brought to the group attention several
> issues already and I think it's worth mentioning that for every such
> issue we fix dozens of interoperability issues we find in IE
> internally and based on external feedback.
>
> Now to the subject. While investigating one bug (see reduced snippet -
> [1] below) we've found that IE and Firefox add "box-sizing:
> border-box" in UA style sheet.

That's because of a particular statement in CSS 2.1, :
"
in HTML and XHTML1, the width of the <table> element is the distance
from the left border edge to the right border edge.
"
§17.6.1 The separated borders model
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/tables.html#separated-borders

> Chrome doesn't and we see some
> interesting behavior where Chrome does some magic to achieve this
> behavior somehow with inconsistent results.
>
> CSS 2.1 touches on this here:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/tables.html#separated-borders

Please note that there is a small mistake IMO in the diagram of section
17.6.1:

More info:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2011Feb/0652.html

>> However, in HTML and XHTML1, the width of the <table> element is the
>> distance from the left border edge to the right border edge.

Once the table element has its default 'display' property reset to
'block', then it should behave just like a generic block element. So

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/display-block-00x.html

IE11, Firefox 32.0.3 and Opera 12.16 fail display-block-00x.html test
while Chrome 38.0.2125.101 passes it.

>> Note: In CSS3 this peculiar requirement will be defined in terms of UA
>> style sheet rules and the 'box-sizing' property.
>
> It would be valuable to get WG's clarification on the expectations
> here, so that we can act accordingly to improve interoperability.
>
> [1] http://jsfiddle.net/q8fwfmpL/

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3UI/box-sizing-xxx.html

If this box-sizing-xxx.html test is correct, then Chrome 38.0.2125.101
and Opera 12.16 fail box-sizing-xxx test while IE11 and Firefox 32.0.3
pass it.

Please note that these tests' filenames are temporary and not
definitive; they will be eventually renamed when submitted in their
respective test suites.

Gérard