Re: beforescroll and using DOM events for extensibility

On Sat, Oct 4, 2014 at 3:30 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 3:14 PM, Rick Byers <rbyers@chromium.org> wrote:
> > Personally I really like the idea of the browser relying on the same
> > addEventListener mechanism available to applications in order to trigger
> > certain behavior.
>
> I think we have some places that do this in Gecko today internally in
> tests (to indicate a test finished) and the Social API. Not sure I
> like either. An event is a notification, not a way to invoke behavior.
>
> If we really want to discuss changing this I suggest we do so on
> www-dom@w3.org. At least then everyone that cares will be in the loop.

Thanks Anne.  We'll do some more research (consider a couple alternatives)
and start a thread on www-dom at some point.  It's starting to look like
there's an extensibility design pattern common in native UI frameworks
which the web's existing design language isn't rich enough to accommodate.
There's some other extensibility scenarios we're looking at which I think
will be bit by the same thing, so we'll try to tackle this in a more
general manor.