Re: [css3-ui] bringing back 'user-select' (issue 50)

On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 10:10 AM, Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net> wrote:
> If we want to push it ahead with just ‘none’ and ‘text’, the initial value cannot be ‘auto’, which is currently the case at least in IE and FF (and maybe blink and webkit, but I can’t tell without reading the source because ‘auto’ might compute to ’text’). If you want to include ‘auto’, we need to define what it means and what it computes to.
>
> If you want to include ‘all’, I’d like to know what it means in chrome before standardising something else. It doesn’t seem to do anything other than text, but I might be missing something.

I don't think it does anything in Chrome.  Like I said, I think we
recognize it but don't actually implement it.  Don't worry about it -
you have two interoperable implementations.

> Same with ‘element’. Firefox has it, but it doesn’t seem to do anything obvious.

Hm, yeah, I thought FF actually implemented it.  Looks like they just
recognize it but don't do anything.  Boooooo.

> Finally, are we sure this is really a good idea?

Yes, it's a useful property.  "none" is great for doing manual
drag-and-drop or the like.  "all" is useful for implementing "atomic"
elements that should only be selected whole.