Re: [css-gcpm] String-set issues

On Tue, 25 Nov 2014 03:19:54 +0100
Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com> wrote:
[...]
> Or, are you demanding something like:
>
>    content: sprintf("%03d", counter(chapter)) "-" ...
>
> be be added to CSS?

"demanding" is too strong a word :-) However, it's something people currently do in other systems. Moving to an HTML + CSS workflow, those people would have to decide whether they can live without features they've enjoyed in the past, or whether to demand vendor extensions. In some cases (e.g. civil engineering) there may be government-legislation about the formatting, which can take a long time to change.

So yes, some sort of ability to format numbers is likely to be wanted, probably allowing for leading zeroes, roman i ii iii numerals, and of course counting systems from other scripts. The format-number() function from XPath 3 is a helpful example because the features it has pretty much all came from real-world formatting requirements, and we added something similar to XSL-FO 2 (I don't remember if it made it into the last public WD before the group closed down) since the processing needs to be done in the formatter, once page numbers are known.