Re: [css3-ui] overflow-text and scrolling (related to issue 24)

> On 18 Nov 2014, at 22:13, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 1:08 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:
>> I'd like to keep the Gecko behavior, as it may not be Web-compatible to
>> suddenly start displaying ellipses at the start of the line for single-value
>> text-overflow, and I don't think shipping an experiment to find out is
>> worthwhile.
>
> [regarding the "single-value text-ellipses means only the end edge
> gets ellipsized, even when the content has been scrolled to overflow
> off the start edge" issue]
>
> I think that's fine.

I think I would prefer the alternative, and suspect that it is rare enough that changing it would’t break much content even if it does turn out to be incompatible. As you pointed out, the scrollable overflow + text-overflow combination is pretty rare.

At the same time, I understand not wanting to spend much energy on figuring out, and authors may explicitly ask for ellipses on both sides if they want to by using the 2 value variant, so I am not going to insist.

Either way, the spec needs to be clarified, as it can currently be read both ways.

 - Florian