Re: [css-content] Inserting and replacing content with the 'content' property

> On 12 Nov 2014, at 02:45, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Presto (old Opera engine) supports ‘content’ on arbitrary elements both for
>> image and textual values. Chrome supports images values both on elements and
>> pseudos, but limits its support for textual values to pseudos.
>
> That's an incredibly weird restriction.

In an other mail, Bruce brought up what the web-compat problems that Opera faced were, and in light of them, the chrome behaviour isn’t too surprising:

> On 11 Nov 2014, at 12:35, Bruce Lawson <brucel@opera.com> wrote:
>
> FYI, there were sites doing "clearfix" but instead of doing
>
> .container:after {
>  content:"";
>  display:table;
>  clear:both;
> }
>
> they'd typo'd it to
>
> .container  {
>  content:"";
> }
>
> and so replaced all their content with "" in Presto Opera. (and, of
> course, their "clearfix" didn't work in any other browser).

Which is not to say we shouldn’t give it a shot, but there are legitimate compat reasons why we might not be able to.

 - Florian