Re: [css-ruby] spanning of ruby annotations across excess bases

Dear David,

On Sun, Nov 9, 2014 at 3:42 AM, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:

> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-ruby/#base-annotation-pairing says:
>   # If there are not enough ruby annotations in a ruby annotation
>   # container, the last one is paired with (spans across) any excess
>   # ruby bases. (If there are not any in the ruby annotation
>   # container, an anonymous empty one is assumed to exist.)
>
> Is there actually a use case for this behavior, or is it really just
> defining error handling?

As far as I know, this is an intended behaviour based on existing use case.
JLREQ usage (Fig. 3.61) usage is certainly rare, but it does have non-
ignorable
presence in various occasions.

Also, it copes with HTML5 Ruby behaviour.
cf.  http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/text-level-semantics.html#annotation-pairing

- When ruby-base elements excesses, all of them matched into last of
existing ruby base.
- When ruby-text elements excesses, it matches to virtual empty ruby texts,

Regards,

KAWABATA, Taichi E-mail: kawabata.taichi@gmail.com