Re: [css-grid][css-align] Issues with align-content / justify-content properties

On 11/07/2014 05:22 PM, Javier Fernandez wrote:

>> We hadn't strongly considered the interpretation of the
>> <content-distribution>
>> values for Grid; I think the original thought was to keep the entire grid
>> as a single unit, so they'd all fall back to their fallback alignment.
>
> Yes, as you pointed out,  it's what the spec describes for Grid. I'll
> implement it that way, while the discussion about content-distribution
> values for Grid is ongoing.

Okay, well, see below for a sec:

>> However, we did get some feedback on people wanting to stretch out
>> the grid by spacing apart the tracks:
>>    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2014Oct/0108.html
>> So, ideally, we would do that for the <content-distribution> values.
>> (It would have some interesting interactions with the sizing of spanning
>> grid items, though, and we haven't quite worked out the implications.)
>
> I've got an interesting implementation of the <content-distribution>
> values on Grids if these are homogeneous, without span and with a single
> item per grid cell. Even that there are many issues for more complex
> cases, it'd be a matter of defining which cases are valid and use the
> fallback content-position value for the rest.
>
> I think we could start by considering as valid some cases like NxN
> homogeneous grids, using the fallback mode otherwise. We could think of
> other cases if more people see this behavior interesting for CSS Grid
> Layout. Attached some examples of the cases I've implemented so far.

If those are the grid cells, and not (necessarily) the grid items there,
then that is *exactly* the behavior we're looking for in that thread!

In which case, don't rip it out. :) Let's see if we can sort out this
behavior and get it in the spec. If you're operating on grid items
rather than cells, then, might need to reconsider the implementation. ;)

~fantasai