Re: [CfC] adding 'rebeccapurple' color to CSS Color Level 4

Le 2014-06-19 15:21, matmarquis.com a écrit :
> I’m a “W3C Invited Expert”—so I’m not sure I have anything in the way
> of say, here—but I’m in favor of this addition.
>

> On Jun 19, at 1:27 PM, Gérard Talbot wrote:
>> Le 2014-06-19 11:04, Daniel Glazman a écrit :
>>> [snip]
>>
>> Daniel,
>>
>> I disagree with such proposal. I have nothing personal for or against
>> Eric Meyer or his daughter. Of all the things that need to be
>> corrected, reedited, changed, tested, modified, illustrated, etc.. in
>> the specifications, this has to be the least significant one.
>
> We can certainly all agree that there’s lots of work to be done.

"Due to a distinct lack of things to discuss, I'm canceling this week's
call."

Conf call 2014-jun-04 CANCELED
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2014Jun/0023.html

> propose we get back to doing that work by not spending any more time
> debating this issue, which has a profound level of support from the
> developer community and unanimous support from the major rendering
> engines.

In any very serious forum or discussion, level of support is never
considered determinant or decisive or sufficient of itself and by
itself.

> This proposal costs nothing. There are no details for us to iron out,
> the single-line implementations were complete hours after it was first
> proposed, and letting this CfC quietly pass in no way stands to
> interfere with any of our daily work.
>
>> Lots of people have contributed (volunteerly or not) to the advance of
>> web standards. So where are you going to stop from now on?
>
> Many great people have contributed to web standards, for sure, but few
> of them had so much influence over the widespread uptake of CSS as
> Eric Meyer. This is an especially unique situation where there’s an
> associated hex value—I don’t believe you’ll find many cases of this in
> the past, and if so I’m certain you won’t find that they went on to
> threaten the sanctity of `papayawhip`. A single data point isn’t much
> use in predicting a slope, let alone a slippery one.

Proponents of this proposal are opening such door.

> Yes, this is an emotion-driven issue.

Proponents of this proposal are the ones opening the "emotional" door.

> We’re people: people writing
> specs, concerned with making better careers for the people who build
> websites

CSS3 modules are already complex and are already misused and abused.

I am convinced that some workarounds proposed for CSS in the past have
become a problem in the present.

CSS was designed to reduce code, to reuse code, to simplify site
maintenance and to be more accessible: I am convinced the web has never
been farther away from this.

> and a better web for the people who use them.

I wish it was the case...

> In the face of
> a crushing tragedy suffered by someone responsible for the very nature
> of the careers we all enjoy, I can’t imagine not applying that same
> kind of empathy here.

I do not understand why you are saying this or how you reach such
relationship. The danger I see here is that, if this color name is not
approved, then it may or could or would mean we do not have empathy or
sensitivity for Eric Meyer. And that would be a mistake.

Alternatives for you:
- Send an email or letter to Eric Meyer detailing how you feel, what you
think or whatever you want to tell him
- Visit him and spend an afternoon with him and tell him how you feel or
whatever you believe he may need to know or to be told from you

In the final analysis, he may appreciate (and I think he will
appreciate) this truly human touch and genuine emotional gesture much
more than a CSS4 named color.

FWIW, I remember an USA saying - admittedly very rough and tough - that
goes like this, something like this: "Life is a bitch and then you die
(or we all die?). Deal with it."

Gérard Talbot