RE: [CfC] adding 'rebeccapurple' color to CSS Color Level 4

EasterEggs of this nature add a nice human touch to an otherwise mechanical specification.
From: Jonathan Kew [jfkthame@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2014 9:41 AM
To: www-style@w3.org
Subject: Re: [CfC] adding 'rebeccapurple' color to CSS Color Level 4

On 19/6/14 16:04, Daniel Glazman wrote:
> (co-chair hat on)
>
> Following a proposal sent to social media, it is suggested
> to add the named color 'rebeccapurple', for value #663399, to
> CSS Color Level 4. This is a tribute to Eric Meyer's daughter
> who recently passed away and a mark of support from all the
> Web community to Eric. I requested to ping Eric to be absolutely
> sure he is ok with this; he responded "he was honored by the gesture,
> and would love to accept it".
>
> Some implementors (Mozilla, Apple, Google and Microsoft) have already
> said they will implement and ship the new value.
>
> So this is a Call for Consensus on that proposal.
>
> Unless there is an objection in reply to the present message
> before this friday 11:59pm pacific time, I will declare consensus and
> the value will be added to CSS Color Level 4.

Personally, I'm not really comfortable with this. While it may be a
touching gesture, I don't think it's appropriate to enshrine a bit of
personal sentimentality in a W3C technical standard.

Nice thought, wrong place.

But I expect I'll be vilified for saying so.

JK

Disclaimer: This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this email. Please notify the sender immediately by email if you have received this email by mistake and delete this email from your system.

Our company accepts no liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. Finally, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.

InsightSoftware.com is a Trading Name of 'InsightSoftware.com Limited',Registered in England No. 2860790 at 53-55 Uxbridge Road, Ealing, London, W5 5SA, United Kingdom, VAT Number: GB 766 8160 95