Re: [css-gcpm] content() function doesn't allow formatting of values

On Jun 18, 2014 2:00 AM, "Jirka Kosek" <jirka@kosek.cz> wrote:

> n 16.6.2014 16:56, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> > Let me be clearer, though: there is no way we'd add XQuery to CSS. It's
> > redundant query language that browser's are not interested in.
>
> Just for the record I was not proposing to use XQuery, but XPath which
> is already implemented in all browsers in version 1.0. For my use-case
> supporting XPath 1.0 with added date/time functions from XPath 2.0 would
> be enough. And there are already two implementations of this, if that
> counts.

I actually meant XPath, sorry. My point is that embedding another query
language into CSS is a bad idea, and we won't do it.

> > Following
> > its *model* for something is possible, but I think it's far more useful
> > align with JS APIs, as authors in general are far more likely to be
> > familiar with JS stuff.
>
> How in your opinion should be JS integrated into CSS? By using something
> like IE's expression() or in a some different way?

I already explained this. I'm talking about aligning with the JS API in our
own API design, not literally embedding JS into CSS. The point is to make
it easy for authors to transfer knowledge across domains.