Re: Floater inside of floater sizing

On 18/06/2014 9:21 AM, Bogdan Brinza wrote:
> Another interoperability problem we've uncovered while investigating
> compatibility problems reported to Internet Explorer. This was found
> on few internal sites, but should affect every site with same
> combination, and we expect this is pretty common:
>
> Consider the following reduction:
> http://jsfiddle.net/boggydigital/6M2yu/
>
> If a floater contains inline-block element and a floater next to it -
> Chrome would break the line after the first element and sizes
> container as if line break didn't happen, even though there should be
> enough space to fit the child floating element without breaking the
> line.
>
> Internet Explorer and Firefox fit both elements without a line break.
> Is this the expected behavior?

Yes or no  ... depends on which UA you are inquiring about. :-)

Internet Explorer and Firefox are showing this correctly to my
understanding of the spec. I will add that this interoperability issue
is not just confined to a float and inline-block element inside another
float. Please see this test case (code is copied below).

http://css-class.com/test/temp/float-with-inline-block.htm

Note that the parent can either be a float or a block-level element with
a declared width that equals the combined width of the floated child and
inline-block child. In this construct, the interoperability issue only
happens when the floated child is after the inline-block child in the
source.

I will say that similar constructs may show the same interoperability
issues.

Alan

<!DOCTYPE html>

.container1 {