Re: Cross Referencing Between Elements

11.06.2014, 23:41, "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>:
> On 6/11/14, 3:36 PM, Brian Blakely wrote:
>> šIn an instance where the cross-reference ends up selecting the element
>> šbeing defined
>
> What if it selects some other element that itself cross-referenced the
> original element?

What does browser when there is cross-referencing of functions in JavaScript?

It throws an error:

    * "Too much recursion" (Firefox);
    * "Maximum call stack size exceeded" (Chrome);
    * "Stack overflow" (IE11).

I have no idea why there is so much fear about cross-referencing in CSS compared with JS.

Also, there is a draft spec "CSS Image Values and Replaced Content Module Level 4" [1] that describes CSS function `element()`. The function is currently implemented as a vendor-prefixed `-moz-element()` function in Firefox [2]. How does the `element()` function deal with cross-referencing?

[1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-images/#element-notation
[2] https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/element