Re: Textarea overflow: (not set) and inherited computed values

On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 2:00 PM, Bogdan Brinza <bbrinza@microsoft.com> wrote:
> While investigating a few interoperability bugs in Internet Explorer we’ve
> root caused few to a difference in computed values for not set and inherited
> overflow values for textarea.
>
> Consider the following example: http://jsfiddle.net/boggydigital/2sfc3/3/
>
> There are at least four cases where three browsers report different computed
> values:
>
> Textarea overflow: (not set)
> Chrome: auto
> Firefox: visible
> IE: scroll
>
> Textarea overflow: visible
> Chrome: auto
> Firefox: visible
> IE: scroll
>
> Textarea overflow:inherit with parent overflow: (not set)
> Chrome: auto
> Firefox: visible
> IE: visible
>
> Textarea overflow:inherit with parent overflow:visible
> Chrome: auto
> Firefox: visible
> IE: visible
>
> We would like to clarify and implement the expected interoperable behavior
> here.

Firefox is guaranteed correct in cases 2 and 4.  They're correct in
cases 1 and 3 if there's no UA styles setting the elements to
something else; there shouldn't be any such thing, since <textarea> is
replaced content and thus CSS doesn't have control over its scrolling
behavior.

~TJ