Re: [css-inline] Summary of drop-caps/initial-letters discussion

On Thu, May 29, 2014 10:44 am, Masataka Yakura wrote:
> On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 7:53 AM, Tony Graham <tgraham@mentea.net> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 27, 2014 2:52 pm, Masataka Yakura wrote:
>> > Perhaps there're some uses in magazines. Here's some examples from the
>> > in-flight magazine (ANA WINGSPAN Issue 539) I read during the flight
>> on
>> my
>> > way back to Japan from Korea F2F.
>> >
>> https://plus.google.com/photos/+MasatakaYakura/albums/6016251750721279313
>> '7 of 17' starts with "&#37237;&#27597;" in a quote, but others, such as
>> '11 of 17' have what looks like a red quote mark before the red '5' but
>> I don't see a red closing quote.  Are the red 'quotes' just decoration?
>
> It's not red but there is a closing quote near the end of the 11th line...

Sorry, I should have seen that.

>> '4 of 17' and '5 of 17' show '&#26397;' spanning the one column of the
>> first paragraph and the first two lines of the second paragraph, which
>> you'd be hard pressed to find in English.
>
> Hm. What does drop caps do if the paragraph containing it is too short? I

Look bad.

Few descriptions of initial caps go into what to do for short paragraphs.
If you have all of the text available and you can determine that there'll
be a short paragraph that should have a drop cap, you can reduce the size
of the drop caps so they'll take fewer lines or turn them into raised
initials or, if you still have access to the author, see if the first two
or three paragraphs can be run-in to make a multi-line paragraph.

But if you're viewing chapter-by-chapter and a first paragraph comes up
short (e.g., if the window is very wide), you're not going to be able to
change the rendering of all the other chapters to match even if you had a
way to automatically adjust the size or mode of the initial capital based
on the rendered text of the current paragraph.

You also won't find much, if any, discussion of the pro and cons of the
drop cap intruding into the next paragraph (as in the example) since it's
mostly assumed to never happen.

> remember CSSWG discussed about such condition during the meeting.

Regards,

Tony.

Mentea       XML, XSL-FO and XSLT consulting, training and programming