Re: [css3-ui] Does `resize` apply to generated content?

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 12:43 PM, Lea Verou <lea@verou.me> wrote:
> I tested the `resize` property on various browsers today and the results
> were buggy everywhere [1]. WebKit/Blink shows a resize handler which does
> nothing, and Gecko is even weirder, showing a resize handler on the
> pseudo-element, that resizes the parent!
>
> I posted about this on twitter, and some authors were not even sure whether
> the property should apply to generated content [2][3]. css3-ui states it
> should apply to “elements with ‘overflow’ other than visible” in the propdef
> table [4]. Does this include pseudo-elements? Is there an editorial issue
> here?
>
> [1]: http://dabblet.com/gist/ab432c3f6a8f672cd077
> [2]: https://twitter.com/leaverou/status/492388401141010432
> [3]: https://twitter.com/sarasoueidan/status/492389394574102528
> [4]: http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-ui/#resize

"elements" includes the full-features pseudo-elements (::before and
::after) unless otherwise specified.

However, I know that at least Chrome implements resizing by applying
width/height properties directly in the style='' attribute on the
element, which pseudo-elements obviously don't have.  That's probably
what's happening in Gecko too, it just walks up to the generating
element to find something with a style='' attribute.