Re: [css-text-4] feedback on hyphenation

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 06:55:55 -0700
To: liam@w3.org, Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
On 05/23/2014 04:43 PM, Liam R E Quin wrote:
> [tl;dr - angst about hyphens that can be ignored]
>
> On Tue, 2014-05-20 at 04:42 +0000, Koji Ishii wrote:
>
>> If you still have use cases to specify this word is “food thief” and
>> that word is “carpet thief”, it looks to me that it’s a semantic issue
>> since you don’t want to change the meaning of words when styles were
>> changed.
>
> This happens in quite a few languages, and today's word processing and
> typesetting systems (including TeX) deal with it using a dictionary.

Håkon's point was that in some cases the hyphenation is ambiguous:
there are multiple possible answers, and they cause the word to have
different meanings.
   See http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2014May/0116.html

This can't be solved by a dictionary.

> The spec also needs to be clearer about how &shy; interacts with the
> user agent -- e.g copy/paste, search, and what to do if the character is
> supplied as part of the value of a "content" property.

Supplying it as part of "content" behaves the same as if it appeared in
the DOM, so nothing special there.

> If hyphenation is under CSS control, how to you allow a word break with
> no added hyphen after a / in one stylesheet and not in another?

I have no idea what you mean.

> If a long word contains a soft hyphen can the formatter break the word
> elsewhere?

No. Soft hyphens disable automatic hyphenation. Note, clarifying this
was Issue 21:
   http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-text-3/issues-lc-2013#issue-21

> What if it contains a "-"?

This does not disable automatic hyphenation. But the UA might decide to
avoid having more than one hyphen in a word is a Bad Idea and break only
at the explicit hyphen.

> If the user agent hyphenates automatically, do the inserted hyphens
> appear in the DOM or not? (this varies between browsers today I'm told).
> And then in-page search is potentially affected.

No. It has no effect on the actual content.

   # Regardless, hyphenation is a rendering effect only: it must have no
   # effect on the underlying document content or on text selection or
   # searching.    http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-text/#hyphenation

~fantasai