Re: [css-text] I18N-ISSUE-308: Definition of 'grapheme cluster'

On 7/17/2014 4:27 PM, Phillips, Addison wrote:

> Yep. That's one of the things that CharMod antedates which the new
> definition could benefit from (as fantasai's already does)
>
> (Typed on my Fire HDX)

There is a weakness in the descriptions in that it is tacitly assumed
that for each language there is only a single way to partition a
sequence of characters into clusters. This is clearly not the case, as
the discussion of first element formatting (drop caps) has shown. The
clustering there may well be different from that for cursor movement or
back-space.

Second, I'm working on a project where the task is defined differently
from UAX#29. We are not interested in finding all the breaks, but,
conversely, we need to find all the clusters and then decide whether
they are well-formed, so as to disallow sequences that are structurally
nonsense in certain complex scripts. I'm mentioning this as a
"by-the-way" so that in your attempt to rationalize the definition of
cluster you don't inadvertently make that task any more difficult than
it already is by virtue of UAX#29 admitting "ill-formed" clusters as
part of the "default".

A./