Re: [CSS2.1] Interop Issue in regards to fixed/absolute positioned children inside of inline-relative containers

On 17/07/2014 10:56 AM, Alan Gresley wrote:
> On 17/07/2014 6:15 AM, Greg Whitworth wrote:
>> Sorry that should read "and" (see inline)
>
> Greg and Pavel. The spec does not define what should happen with an
> empty inline box but the test case is showing some usual behaviour
> because such a empty inline box has been set to display-inline-box.

> This orange box is showing the same as if it's a non-replaced element
> (an image) with a 'display' value of 'inline' [1] and it's bottom is
> aligned with the baseline of the line box [2]. Here is a test case.
>
> http://css-class.com/test/temp/containing-block-inline4b.htm
>
> There is nothing in the spec that says that an inline box with a
> 'display' value of 'inline-block' should influence the baseline of text
> outside of it but the above test case shows that this is what happening
> and it is interoperable across all browsers. It's happening because the
> box itself does not have a 'height' that is 'auto'.
>
> Before we work out where the "static position" of the green box is (see
> below), the above has to be resolved and spec'd.

Below is a test case that shows that much of the issues are relating to
an inline box with a 'display' value of 'inline-block' that has a height
that is *not* 'auto'. It does not matter if the box is empty (with no
text) or not. The only browser that seems to show wrong is Firefox. The
green box is aligned incorrectly vertical and is above to the top edge
of it's containing block.

http://css-class.com/test/temp/containing-block-inline5.htm

Gérard. IE12 is showing identical to Chrome.

Alan