Re: [css-transforms] Making 'transform' match author expectations better with specialized 'rotate'/etc shorthands

On 7/15/14, 11:22 PM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 10:41 PM, Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com> wrote:
>> Then when Dean brought up the notion of using both transform and rotate
>> together, your reply assumes that transform does not reset rotate, so
>> transform is no longer a shorthand and loses the resetting behavior.
>>This
>> second proposal sounds to me like two separate syntaxes for
>> transformations, one applied after the other.
>
>My direct response to Dean was about a transform followed by a
>translate.  Regardless of what variant of the proposal we use, the
>answer is the same - the translate doens't do anything to the
>transform.
>
>The rotate preceding the transform does depend on which variant we
>use. In the original one, 'transform' is a shorthand, so it'll reset
>the 'rotate' property.  Based on feedback from Dirk and Dean, though,
>I'm exploring another proposal, where transform isn't a shorthand.  In
>that, the rotate remains.
>
>I don't think "two separate syntaxes" is a very accurate way of
>thinking about it.  There are just four transforming properties; three
>of which do single, simple transforms, and the fourth which takes a
><transform-list> for more complicated things.

Whether you think of them as two syntaxes or not, there are four
transforming properties broken into two sets. The first set is the three
single operations, and they interact with each other (they have a fixed
order of application). The second set is our current transform property.
The two sets also interact, as you have to specify the order in which the
sets apply.

I expect author guidance will be to use one set or the other, avoiding
combinations of the two sets (as any combination can be more directly
expressed by just using the current transform property).

Thanks,

Alan