Re: [css-text-decor-3] determining position and thickness of line decorations

On Jul 4, 2014, at 9:12 AM, Lea Verou <lea@verou.me> wrote:

> Authors need fine grained control over text decorations and they will resort to any hack [1] to get it. In [1], the author explains how they tried everything, from borders to box-shadows, and ended up using gradient backgrounds (!), just to be able to control the color *and thickness* of text underlines.
> IMO there should be a 4th property in the `text-decoration` shorthand: `text-decoration-width` or `text-decoration-thickness`, with values of auto | <length>.
> `auto` would produce the current behavior and would be the initial value.

I would love that. I usually prefer 1px underlines and strike-throughs, and think the larger lines look bad (except on very large type, sometimes), especially when anti-aliased due to not being even multiples of 1px. Others might get what they want by using ems.