Re: [css3-ruby] Section 2.2 step 7's provisions for inter-segment white space are odd

On 07/02/2014 08:47 AM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> On 7/2/14, 10:01 AM, fantasai wrote:
>> Ok, I've made a bunch of edits that hopefully resolve all the
>> problems. :)
>
> I don't think this issue was addressed at all, sadly.
>
> Looking at the spec as of today, step 7 says:
>
>    A sequence of ruby base containers, ruby annotation containers,
>    and/or inter-segment white space not parented by a ruby container is
>    wrapped in an anonymous ruby container.
>
> inter-segment white space is a subset of intra-ruby whitespace, per step 5.
>
> intra-ruby whitespace, per step 3, can only occur as a child of a ruby container or ruby base container.
>
> Once again, if the parent is a ruby container there is nothing
> to be done in step 7 so the parent must be a ruby base container,
> and I believe the rest of the analysis from my original mail
> follows.

Ah, right. Sorry for not understanding your original mail, I'm just
being dumb.

I currently have no opinion on whether an anonymous ruby container
should encapsulate multiple segments separated by whitespace or not.
If you have an opinion, I will happy adopt it into the spec.

>> What the spec is trying to accomplish is to make
>> this whiteboard example work:
>>
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2014Jun/att-0027/PastedGraphic-1.png
>
> That example doesn't involve step 7 at all, right?

Right.

> For purposes of step 7, the relevant DOM would look more like this:

Thanks.

~fantasai