Re: [gcpm][books] thematic breaks at the top of a page

From: Cramer, Dave <Dave.Cramer@hbgusa.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 11:49:06 -0500
To: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On 1/27/14 7:48 AM, "Cameron McCormack" <cam@mcc.id.au> wrote:

>One effect I noticed in a book recently was the presence of a horizontal
>line indicating a thematic break, but only if the break is at the top of
>a page.  So something like this:
>
>   hr {
>     border: none;
>     margin: 1em 0;
>     padding: 0 5em;
>   }
>
>   hr:at-top-of-page {
>     border-top: 1px solid black;
>   }
>
>When you use an <hr> and it lands at the top of a page, the gap by
>itself won't distinguish itself enough, and that no ink at the top of
>the page is aligned with the text on the following page probably doesn't
>look good.
>
>Maybe :at-top-of-page is too specific; you might want this effect at the
>top of other fragmenting containers, like columns

This is a common requirement for us. If such a break occurs at the top or
bottom of the page, we replace the blank line with asterisks or ornaments.

div.blank-line { height: 2em; }

div.blank-line:top-of-page {
content: '* * *'
}

Some documentation at [1]

Dave

[1]
http://w3c.github.io/dpub-pagination/index.html#space-breaks-and-ornaments

This may contain confidential material. If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender, delete immediately, and understand that no disclosure or reliance on the information herein is permitted. Hachette Book Group may monitor email to and from our network.