Re: Floats, books and regions

From: Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 14:03:35 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org
On 27/01/14 07:35, L. David Baron wrote:

>> No. I have numerous examples dating to P language and DSSSL at the
>> beginning of the '90s where a table of contents is just another
>> stylesheet applied to the document. That's why we originally wanted
>> multiple views per document. To generate a table of contents, you
>> basically have to apply |display:none| to elements not h1...h6 nor
>> descendants of such header elements.
>
> Just because it has been done with style sheets in some systems
> doesn't mean that fits with the architecture of the *Web*.

I am surprised we have this discussion now. Paged Media and parts of
GCPM have always included the ability to render a table of contents. I
don't think you ever commented that way about ToCs in the decade of
existence of these documents.

FWIW, several major industries relying on what you call the *Web*
strongly disagree with your opinion above.

</Daniel>