Re: [css-masking] SVG related reference boxes beside background boxes

On Fri, 2014-01-17 at 10:00 +0000, Dirk Schulze wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the following I am referencing the clip-path property[1]. What ever we do, it affects the mask-* properties[2] as well.
>
> Currently clip-path uses the <shape-box> reference boxes (CSS backgrounds <box> + margin-box) which includes the keywords:
>
> content-box
> padding-box
> border-box
> margin-box
>
> Tav objected to redefine the meaning of the keywords to element in an SVG context and added that the viewport (often used as reference box for SVG resources) can not be addressed.
>
> Tav suggested adding two more keywords:
>
> 1) A keyword that represents the tight reference box including the stroke area + (styled) markers which some call 'stroke-bounding-box'
> 2) A keyword that represents the viewport as reference box with the name ‘viewport’.

Yes. Actually, I think that a third keyword should also be included
corresponding to the bounding box without stroke/markers/etc. The use
cases are probably about equal between wanting a bounding box with and
without the stroke. The latter case is especially important in the case
of animation where the "stroke" bounding-box can change while the normal
bounding-box does not (e.g. a dash pattern is progressing around a
non-rectangular object).