Re: [mediaqueries4] Media queries for multichannel audio ?

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 13:59:49 -0800
To: Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, "florian@rivoal.net" <florian@rivoal.net>
On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 9:27 AM, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Has there been any dissuasion of media queries for audio media ?
>
> Specifically, I am interested in discovering whether the attached audio device supports multi-channel audio (5.1, 7.1 etc.) so that I can choose an appropriate resource.
>
> I believe it would be sufficient to have a 'channel count' property which is just an integer count of the number of audio channels supported by the output device.

Given that Blink is dropping the media attribute from <source>, and
Hixie is planning to subsequently drop the attribute from the spec, I
don't think there's any remaining need to expose this information in
the form of a MQ.  It still seems useful, but it should be exposed by
some simple JS API returning the actual number of channels.