Re: [css-regions] responsive and semantic use of named flows

On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 1:11 PM, Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com> wrote:

> I still have hopes that we can find a compromise proposal where:
>
>   - people who'd like to set up explicit regions can do so

That would be really cool and is the most important part

>   - without abusing HTML element

I may be a bit naive or think too much in terms of the DOM and how pages
are structured today. But I have a real hard time understanding how
something like a series of specific areas on the screen can be defined
using CSS without relating it to DOM elements. This would certainly require
a completely new way of how to create web pages.

reading the specs doesn't get me much further either. Could someone make an
example of what this wouldlook like? Say I want a text to flow through
three differnt areas that I manually specify. Soemthing like this maybe?

.maintext {
 region-1: 12px 560px 46px 780px;
 region-2: 70px 690px 130px 810px;
 region-3: 120px 1200px 132px 830px;
}

? If how would one then style those regions differently? Say the text color
in the second region should be red, would I do?

.maintext {
  region-2-color: red;
}

I am sure this is not how it is meant as I just made up the CSS code, but
could one of you show what it would be like?

As it stands now, at least in part due this endless fight and insistence on
a book specification that noone else seems to have an interest in (other
than us book producers), it seems that Google has decided none of this will
happen, at least not in our life times. Good job!

>   - designs are responsive, by default

Not all sites have to run on all devices. The person creating the site
should be able to make the right decision, not be forced by browser makers
or spec creators that his or her site has to be mobile compatible.

--
Johannes Wilm
Fidus Writer