Re: CSS Regions considered harmful (was: [css-regions] issue 16858 redux)

Razvan Caliman wrote:

 > >  http://www.wiumlie.no/2014/regions/uc1-abspos.html
 >
 > Yes, Håkon, some problems can be solved in multiple ways with CSS. Web
 > designers appreciate that.
 >
 > The example is deliberately simple. It illustrates one use case solved
 > with CSS Regions in a way that is easy to understand.

Yes, simple use cases are good. What I'm pointing out is that these
layouts can be achieved without abusing HTML tags -- we can do this in
CSS only.

 > Surely you can demonstrate foresight and imagine use cases where elements
 > are not positioned absolutely

Sure. Here's a version that uses page floats to achive the same:

  http://www.wiumlie.no/2014/regions/uc1-float.html

Again, no HTML elements were harmed in the making of this example.

 > >It doesn't use JavaScript -- your version seems to rely on JS.
 >
 > The JS in that demo automatically triggers the animated slide-out menu. It
 > is a way to highlight the behaviour for learners. JS is not part of the
 > solution.

Ok. However. when I turned off JS, the page transition didn't happen.
(I'm using Google Chrome Version 34.0.1797.2 dev.)

-h&kon