Re: CSS Regions considered harmful (was: [css-regions] issue 16858 redux)

Alan Stearns wrote:

 > >  http://www.wiumlie.no//2014/regions/uc1-float.html
 >
 > That’s looking a bit better. Can you make the bottom button placement
 > adapt to the article length? Right now if the window is tall there’s a
 > whole bunch of white space between the article and the UI, and if the
 > window is short the buttons overlap the article and the content is
 > clipped. I see that you’re using paged overflow, but our demo adapts to
 > the window size and scrolls.

Yes. In principle, floating to the bottom also works in scrolled
enviroments. It doens't in our implementation, though, so I can't
demo.

 > I would not promote creating a menu background by adding a border to the
 > the content next to the menu, but to each their own I suppose. When the
 > content is shorter than the menu, the border doesn’t cover all of the
 > buttons. And when the window height is taller than the content, the menu
 > background doesn’t extend to the bottom of the window.

Yes, It could be an effect, or not.

 > I’m not sure how you’d add the menu interaction. There needs to be a way
 > to dismiss the menu, and bring it back again.

Probably, I would have to use JS. It would be good to have declarative
solutions to such common tasks.

-h&kon