Re: Exposing Fundamental Primitives (was: [css-regions] Named Flows, Elements and Box Generation)

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 22:41:05 -0800
To: Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com>, Fran??ois REMY <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com>, Johannes Wilm <johannes@fiduswriter.org>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>, H??kon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
On Tuesday 2013-10-29 12:14 -0700, Alan Stearns wrote:
> On 10/29/13 11:24 AM, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:
> >Agreed, but I think the underlying primitives we expose to do that
> >should actually be more like primitives -- they shouldn't involve
> >things like implicit multi-pass layout (which isn't in the things
> >you cite that are built on top of them).
>
> Please note that multi-pass layout is only required IF there is a region
> that is sized by its content AND that region is not the last region in the
> chain. There are plenty of places for optimization in the actual
> implementation - the spec takes the conservative route and describes the
> worst-case scenario an implementation needs to support. Section 7.3
> encourages optimizations, and note 12 allows for even more complicated
> layout steps if an implementation wants to go down that path.

I don't think this is good enough, especially for a primitive, as I
described in
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2014Jan/0339.html

(Sorry, in hindsight perhaps I should have put that reply in this
thread and put a pointer in the other thread.)

-David

             Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
             What I was walling in or walling out,
             And to whom I was like to give offense.