Re: CSS Regions considered harmful (was: [css-regions] issue 16858 redux)

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 23:42:56 +0100
To: Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com>
Cc: Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>, "www-style\@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
Brian Kardell wrote:

 > Is there a plausible alternative to #1 with any kind of serious
 > thought/support?

Yes. There have been several proposals that use @-rules to represent
regions (or slots, or frames):

   http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-page-template/
   http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-layout

Swithing to @-rules would address my primary concern. Some proposals
go further to address other concerns as well:

   http://www.w3.org/TR/css-overflow-3/#style-of-fragments
   http://www.wiumlie.no/2013/gcpm/06-27.html#regions

But most use cases don't need to address individual columns. I believe
CSS Multicol + column-span: integer + float: top/bottom addresses most
use case.

The only really good use case for Regions that I can think of is the
tradition newspaper layout where you have a front-page article ending
in "continued on page x" -- having a receptive region on page x makes
sense when recreating this classic design.

Cheers,

-h&kon