Re: CSS Regions considered harmful (was: [css-regions] issue 16858 redux)

On 1/22/14, 9:28 AM, "Håkon Wium Lie" <howcome@opera.com> wrote:

>Alan Stearns wrote:
>
> > The main remaining issue in the CSS Regions specification is 16858
>[1]. It
> > proposes to make flow-from not apply to elements, in favor of making it
> > apply to CSS-generated containers only. I will be asking the working
>group
> > to resolve to close this issue when we meet in Seattle, but I would
>like
> > to prime that discussion with some debate on the list, as I think
>there's
> > only a handful of people who are passionately interested in this issue.
>
>Your proposed solution goes against a fundamental principle of style
>sheets: to separate style from structure.

And in the part of my message that you snipped, I expressed some of my
arguments for why separation of concerns should not be an absolute. This
sparked a thread on the Extensible Web list [1] that has been discussing
this in more detail, and the feedback there has been fairly consistent
about not holding improvements to the web platform hostage to a absolutist
SOC argument.

> It relies on Regions being
>represented by dummy HTML elements instead of writing them in CSS
>(which would have been easy).

I’m perfectly happy to be able to write them in CSS. I particularly like
grid slots. Do you have any other suggestions on how to create containers
in CSS?

Thanks,

Alan

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-nextweb/2014Jan/0001.html