Re: A wish for 2014: page transitions

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 14:45:49 -0800
To: Sylvain Galineau <galineau@adobe.com>
Cc: Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>, "<www-style@w3.org>" <www-style@w3.org>
On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 9:12 AM, Sylvain Galineau <galineau@adobe.com> wrote:
> Related - at least I think of it as related - I have also seen interest in transitioning from one MQ state to another i.e. when going from portrait to landscape I may want some level of animation between the two layouts. If that's desirable then effects from one page to the next are reasonable too.
>
> Some links on the topic at https://www.google.com/search?q=transitions+between+media+queries&oq=transitions+between+media+queries&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l2.5478j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=91&ie=UTF-8

This is *strongly* desired by quite a lot of people, and Shane and I
have a proposal for it that we're going to present Real Soon Now.

(Spoiler: doing it declaratively doesn't work; it gets real
complicated real fast, and still can't address all the use-cases we've
been given from internal teams.  Doing it manually in JS is fairly
simple, except for a few complicated bits that turn out to be really
simple and reasonable to provide as primitives.)