Re: [css-background] Animating border-position

On 1/6/14, 1:58 PM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 1:36 PM, Bear Travis <betravis@adobe.com> wrote:
>> How should the values from getComputedStyle serialize? It worries me a
>> little to think that animations and getComputedStyle would use different
>> values.
>
>Computed values have nothing to do with serialization.  Serializing
>just takes a value (which can be at *any* value stage) and returns a
>string holding a declared value which will have the same result.
>
>> If we were to serialize the above value, would it serialize as calcs all
>> the time?
>> "top calc(50% + 0px) left calc(100% - 20px)"
>> Or only where both a length and a percentage exist?
>> "top 50% left calc(100% - 20px)"
>
>Currently undefined, but the obviously correct answer is to only use
>calc()s when necessary.  *Any* value in CSS might be a calc(); that
>doesn't imply that they all have to serialize as calc()s.

So let’s get it defined. I’ve defined <position> serialization in
<basic-shape>s, leaning on what’s defined for image(). I’d really like to
see the serialization of background-position defined so that I know it
isn’t going to change out from under my definition.

Thanks,

Alan