Re: [css-break][css-transforms] transform on fragmented overflow

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 11:44:05 -0800
To: "Robert O'Callahan" <robert@ocallahan.org>
Cc: Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 2:49 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:
> I think the answer to this will depend on the question I recently posted
> about whether a fragmented element has one or many border-boxes.
>
> However, whatever the answer to that is, I wouldn't support defining the
> behavior of Chrome and Safari as correct, which I assume means defining
> things in terms of a hypothetical layout where the element is not
> fragmented. That layout doesn't correspond to anything which is actually
> rendered, and Gecko never computes it. It probably doesn't even make sense
> for Webkit/Blink in complex fragmentation situations like regions where each
> fragment can get a different width.

Yeah, our multicol behavior shouldn't be taken as an endorsement of
any generic fragmenting behavior; it has always been a dirty
visual-base hack that does bad things (like putting the border of an
element in the next column).  Proper fragmentation would work better,
and probably like what FF/IE are doing.