Re: [css-snappoints] Blink team position on snap points

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 11:16 AM, Rick Byers <rbyers@chromium.org> wrote:

> I'd apply this to our scenario here by saying we should aspire to a future
> where browsers can ship a standard library that implements your snap point
> API in terms of low level APIs.

I think that's a fine future too. There's a huge difference though between
the the browser supplying a standard library for scroll-snapping and an
application supplying it: the browser's version is sure to upgrade every
time a new "native" scrolling gesture (or an entirely new "native"
platform) is supported, and the page's version is not.

There are also important differences between the mobile platforms you're
using as a model and the Web. Namely, on the Web we need to enable
applications to work well across platforms whose evolution is diverging ---
or that aren't evolving at all! That makes designing low-level primitives
much more challenging, and maybe impossible in some cases.

I've been a big proponent of offering fundamental mechanisms instead of
baking complex functionality into the platform. (I fought for that in Web
Audio for a long time --- and lost, to the complex, bake-everything-in
Chrome design :-).) I just don't think it's always going to lead to the
best outcomes in every situation.

Rob
waanndt  wyeonut  thoo mken.o w