Re: [css-text] feedback on hyphenation

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 9:17 PM, Håkan Save Hansson <hakan.hansson@edison.se
> wrote:

> There are some language specific special cases with hyphenation. In
> Swedish for instance, if you write the two words “matta” (carpet) and
> “tjuv” (thief) as one you write it as “mattjuv”, with two t letters. This
> should hyphenate into “matt-tjuv”, with three t letters. This is not a
> hyphenation rule, but rather a type rule: when you write two words as one,
> there may never be more than two of the same letters where then two words
> concatenate.
>

> If you want to use a manual soft hyphen (&shy;) for such a word you're in
> trouble. My suggestion is that when you write “matt&shy;tjuv” in text and
> it is displayed without hyphenation, it respects this rule and suppresses
> one of the three letters t.

Unicode [1] says to do the opposite:

When a SHY is used to represent a possible hyphenation location, the
> spelling is that of the word without hyphenation

So you're supposed to write it as mat&shy;tjuv, and it's up to the
hyphenation system to know how the spelling changes when the word is
hyphenated.

[1] http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr14/#SoftHyphen

James