Re: [css-counter-styles] Behavior of zero in system 'alphabetic' & 'symbolic'

On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 12:12 AM, Xidorn Quan <quanxunzhen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The spec says, 'alphabetic' and 'symbolic' are "defined only over
> strictly positive counter values", while they are also
> negative-capable. Consequently, if an author defines a style:
>
> @counter-style a { system: symbolic; range: -10 10; symbols: a; }
>
> and use value -2 - 2, then, according to the rules, he will get: -aa,
> -a, 0, a, aa. The zero in the middle seems to be strange. I propose
> that we could make the defination cover zero, and generate an empty
> sequence for zero.

I agree that the 0 in the middle is strange, but I think it's even
stranger to generate an empty counter representation.  Note that I'd
also have to then hook into the rest of the algorithm, so that it
doesn't get a prefix, suffix, or pad added to it.