Re: [css-position] New position value: Mixture of absolute and relative

On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 10:46 AM, David <david.email@ymail.com> wrote:
> a new position property value would be great to see in a new spec update
> (http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-position/):
> A mixture of the absolute and relative position property value,
> which behaves like the relative value but doesn't affect the normal
> document flow like with absolute.
>
> Currently such a rendering behavior is just possible
> by adding the parent element a relative position and the child the
> absolute position, but why such a detour?
>
> Here an example of what should be achieved by a new position value:
> http://jsfiddle.net/UZLUS/4/

Let me express this in slightly more technical terms, just to make
sure I understand it:

You want a value that takes an item out of flow, like
position:absolute, but interprets the trbl properties as offsets from
the item's static position (like relpos) rather than as offsets from
the containing block (like abspos)?