Re: [selectors-nonelement] First draft of a new spec for selecting non-element nodes

On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 1:30 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> What is this supposed to do?
>>
>> When <input type=number> is empty show
>> content of the 'placeholder' attribute in its place
>> with the given styling.
>
> So it's exactly equivalent to:
>
> input[type=number]:empty[placeholder]::before {
>   content: attr(placeholder);
>   display: block;
>   color: grey;
> }

There is no effect to apply ::before or ::after on an input element.

I think what he wants is to style the display of placeholder and alt.
But IMHO it is unrelated with the attribute selector. The correct
method should be adding some new pesudo-elements like ::placeholder
and ::alt instead of trying to style attributes.

Regards,
Xidorn Quan