Re: Shadow DOM: Hat and Cat -- if that's your real name.

On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 2:56 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 11:49 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 12:44 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
>> wrote:
>> > An expedient approach would be to allow selectors to penetrate the
>> > shadow
>> > DOM by default and in a future spec revision add the ability for
>> > component
>> > authors to opt out of this, along with introducing other features to
>> > support
>> > custom styling.
>>
>> Oh gosh no.  Encapsulation by default is absolutely necessary to avoid
>> the pains of current jquery/etc components, the avoidance of which is
>> the entire point of Shadow DOM.
>

> Sorry, by "penetrate the shadow DOM" I meant using the combinators that
> Dimitry has proposed, or using the pseudo-element versions.

Oh!  I'm so sorry, I *completely* misunderstood your email.

Yes, that's exactly the plan, actually.  We've just figured out that,
in the general case, we need full shadow-piercing.  We'd like to
explore more restricted methods of piercing that people can opt into
in the future.