Re: Shadow DOM: Hat and Cat -- if that's your real name.

On 04/02/2014 04:41, Dimitri Glazkov wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 5:23 PM, Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com
> <mailto:dschulze@adobe.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Feb 3, 2014, at 4:17 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com
>     <mailto:jackalmage@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>      > On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 3:32 PM, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com
>     <mailto:smfr@me.com>> wrote:
>      >> So it sounds like the working group is not happy with the cat
>     and hat selectors as-is.
>      >
>      > Dimitri's email wasn't a question of whether or not the WG is happy
>      > (the minutes are clear), but a request to get the bikeshedding done
>      > *right now* and decide on some better names so we can make the thing
>      > before we ship.  Otherwise we'll be shipping with ^ and ^^ instead.
>
>     For sure you don’t want to risk compatibility issues with other
>     browser vendors. Therefore, I trust that Blink will follow the own
>     guidelines, consider carefully and fully transparent if and why you
>     would ship a feature. A feature that a WG (and some browser vendors
>     with it) explicitly denied in its current definition. Quite likely
>     this consideration will come to the conclusion to not ship with the
>     feature in question enabled. This doesn’t block Shadow DOM but would
>     just delay an (admittedly very interesting) part of the main feature.
>

> As I understand the problem, the group is just looking for better names.
> Surely we can find the right terms.

A suggestion for ::shadow and ::shadow-all came out of discussing this
on IRC.

In any case, please do not ship combinators, ignoring the request to use
named pseudo-elements instead, just because we don’t agree on names
within days’ notice.

--
Simon Sapin