Re: [css-images][selectors][css21] ::before and ::after on replaced elements

From: Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 00:40:04 +0200
Cc: "www-style list" <www-style@w3.org>
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
On Fri, 22 Aug 2014 00:21:10 +0200, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
wrote:

> While we definitely need to figure out something for this eventually,
> reinterpreting ::before/after as siblings is definitely not the right
> idea.  We'll likely eventually add something that adds siblings for
> all elements.

So we should:
(1) stick to the fact that ::before/::after on replaced elements do nothing
and
(2) eventually spec something like ::sibling-before/::sibling-after

That would make sense to me, and I don't see any reason to wait to put (1)
in a spec explicitly. Since the selector spec is the one refering to 2.1,
which says we will eventually say how this work, it looks like a good
place for a clarification. How about this at the end of section 3.7:

   Note. Since ::before and ::after add children to the originating
   element, they have no effect on replaced elements such as the HTML img
   element.

    - Florian Rivoal